Jan. 1, 2013 update: Happy New Year! Click on the little comment cloud (above this post to the right) and read a most encouraging comment by hula hoop instructor Cara Zara, with instructions on how to make your own hoop. Better yet, check out Cara’s blog at http://carazara.wordpress.com Thank you Cara!
The video below is an awesome performance by Beth Lavinder Williams. You can see more of her videos on YouTube.
I wonder if I’m too old to learn how to do this?
Hula Hoops were a fad when I was a kid. Every family in the neighborhood had at least one.
My family was too poor to afford one. I’m completely serious.
I was a totally uncoordinated kid. I tried twirling a Hula Hoop a few times, using hoops of friends, but could never do it. Wouldn’t work for me. No rhythm. No movement.
As an adult, I found out that if you could clap your hands to the beat of the music, you had rhythm. I learned to dance, for socializing and fun. In my 30s and 40s, I danced a lot. Fell out of touch with dancing when I went to work for the big-city newspaper, working nights and weekends.
Now I’m totally out of shape for the kind of vigorous dancing I once could do all night.
Apparently this hoopdancing craze has been picking up speed for several years. I’m going to buy a hoop.
– John Hayden
- Why hooping is the fun new exercise of the summer (mnn.com)
- Hula News!! (socialoverdose.wordpress.com)
- Men Hula-Hoop Too! (carazara.wordpress.com)
- Hooping (thelifeofliza.wordpress.com)
- What Hula Hooping Means to Me (writergal007.wordpress.com)
- Hula Hooping Glamazon… (maylanascloset.com)
- Hula Hooping for Fitness (carazara.wordpress.com)
- Mum hula hoops off 11 stone in weight in amazing playground diet (mirror.co.uk)