10:30 p.m. Sunday, still above water in West Ocean City, MD. (Although my roof is leaking again.) Just finished writing a detailed news report over at Ocean City Blog. It’s raining hard and the wind’s picking up. But this baby is only beginning. They’re calling Sandy a hybrid hurricane/nor’easter now.
It’s the consensus of the three humans, two dogs and two cats in this sturdy house that we’re fairly safe here. Of course, the cats and dogs are cool as long as their humans are cool (and the pet food holds out). They trust us, maybe too much.
I drove around on a fact-finding mission this afternoon (actually I was looking for an open laundromat). Lots of businesses open, but alas, no laundromats. One bar was advertising beer by the bucket.
I’d already stocked up on essentials (cat food, cat litter, gallons of water) yesterday, but added a few more items at the supermarket. The staff was working hard, removing meat and frozen food from display cases, to relocate it in better refrigeration units in back. I believe they intend to keep the main refrigeration units going with generators when the power goes out. Since they did all that work, maybe the power will stay on.
Enjoyed a wonderful roast beef and potato dinner cooked by Judy, the world’s best neighbor, with a handful of other neighbors, earlier this evening. Elaine had to keep calling it our “last supper.”
Enough blogging for one day. Maybe I’ll post some photos tomorrow for your indoor amusement during the storm.
Be dry and safe, wherever you are.
– John Hayden
- Hurricane Sandy – Ready or Not, Here She Comes (johnhaydeninmd.com)
- Getting Ready for Hurricane Sandy (inkspeare.wordpress.com)
- Worcester County, MD, Warns of “Historic Flooding,” Orders Localized Evacuations (marylandonmymind.com)
- Hurricane Sandy Update from Ocean City, MD – “Severe Flooding” Predicted (marylandonmymind.com)
- Hurricane Sandy: Tips For Pet Owners (abcnews.go.com)